Thursday, August 5, 2010

Is this real

I saw an interesting lot on E-bay today. It is a copy of the Imaba booklet with tab pairs of the Doar Ivri stamps. This is a fairly rare booklet, and it is more common to see it with blocks of 4 stamps, rather than the tab pairs. The stamps are normally hinged into the booklet. From the pictures, it looks like the tab pairs are placed in mounts, rather than hinged into the booklet. Maybe someone took the original stamps out of the booklet and put them back in using mounts. Or, it is possible that someone bought a booklet with blocks of four and replaced the stamps with the more valuable tab pairs. I don't know if it is possible to tell for sure what happened. Maybe someone who knows more about the Doar Ivri issue than I do would be able to tell if the right versions of the tab stamps are included or not. To me, the value of the booklet is severely diminished by this. What do you think?

2 comments:

Mark Goldsmith said...

I think someone found an IMABA booklet with no stamps or with damaged stamps and substituted new stamps on mounts. I do not believe that those type of mounts existed in 1949. The scan shows no hinge marks on the back of the stamps, so they are not the originals.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mark.
I have a simular booklet however each page contains a block of four non tabbed stamps.
The are are hinged on the page and the values are 3,5,10,15,20 and 50 Mills.
I hope this the original one issued by the Ministry of Communications - Philatelic Services - 61080 Tel Aviv-Yafo - Israel as an attached old sticker says.
Willem van Schie