Monday, February 28, 2011

Wow

I submitted an article on mejujaim stamps to the SIP journal over 6 months, and hadn't thought much about it since then. Until this week, when I received the latest journal, and saw a request for articles. So I sent the same article in again, and this time I got a response from the editor. Apparently, he thinks the stamps are a gimmick, and not worth a write up in the journal. Really? I guess he is entitled to his opinion, but since his target audience is those of us that collect Israel Philatelic items, I would assume he would want to be as inclusive as possible. His response completely floored me, and removed all my motivation to write further articles for the journal. Are all modern Israel topics gimmicky? This is what I collect. Finding information about modern items is next to impossible. Until now, I thought that was just because there are few collectors, but now I wonder if the editor of the journal actively disparaging the topic has something to due with the lack of information being disseminated? Maybe I am just not used to rejection. I would like to think that I would be more accepting if he said he didn't like my writing, or the focus was too narrow, or something similar, that I would accept that without this frustration, but I guess I will never know. Anyway, for the foreseeable future, I will just share my thoughts here, and keep my gimmicky collecting habits to the readers here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry. We will follow you here on your blog. keep up the good work.

Mark Goldsmith said...

Adam, keep up the good work. By the way, Shoval, the magazine of the Israel Philatelic Foundation, ran an article on the mejujaim stamps in its October 2010 issue.

Unknown said...

seems like perhaps the editor is out of touch with his readers. maybe if subscriber numbers continue to drop he will come knocking on your door?

Ben Wallace said...

Gimmicky or not, I am of the belief that ALL topics of Israel philately (including the Mejujaim sheetlets) should be written about in the journal. I am very disappointed with the editor's decision to not publish an article on this topic.